Saturday, September 29, 2007


Port Elizabeth is nicknamed the: Windy City and any of those that have been there on a windy day will know what I mean. On this particular day, it was blowing a gale force wind. I been distributing Srila Prabhupada’s books in the car park at the Walmer shopping Center for about three hours. I think Ihad by that time only sold about five or four of Srila Prabhupada’s books. At one stage it became very difficult for me, my book bag, sand blowing into my eyes and the howling wind. At one stage it was unbearable. I would stop a person and as I tried to speak to them, they would just ignore me, or say that they had no time to stop and talk to me. The last thing a person wants to do after he or she wants to do after they come out of the shopping mall, is to speak to someone in force 10 gale. They want to get out of there as soon as possible and into the shelter of their car. One WV Golf stopped next to me. Out stepped a middle aged lady and her young little daughter. I could see from her appearance, that some how or other she had fallen on bad times. I introduced myself to her and gradually our conversation got to the subject of Krsna consciousness. I asked her if she would like to take one of Serial Prabhupada’s books. She told me that she did not really have enough money and began telling me about the passing away of her father about a week previously. I told here that her father is not dead, his body may be dead, but the real him, the spirit soul lives eternally. She smiled and thanked me. I gave her a Beyond Birth and Death, and said that should please accept it from me as a gift. She thanked me, and said that she could not take it from me without giving me something in return. I thought to myself, how would she able to, as she said that she did no have enough money. She told me that her daughter and herself, had only come to the shopping mall to buy a loaf of bread. She had come to claim five rand she had won a scratch-and-win card and that is what she was going to use to buy her loaf of bread. She handed me the scratch-and win card and said I should please accept it as compensation for Srila Prabhupada’s book. I thanked her and was overcome by her generosity, as she said, “Oh that’s allright, we will come back some other time to buy the loaf of bread.” Off they drove, they had come to the shopping center to buy a loaf of bread, with the only form of payment that they had, a scratch-and-win card. She left without taking the loaf of bread and got Srila Prabhupada’s book, the greatest gift of all, the eternal mercy and blessings of Srila Prabhupada and Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu!

No comments: